Sunday, March 8, 2009

Intersections

This last weekend I went up to Celebration Park to do some camping with my Boy Scout troop, Troop 61. Some of my best friends in the world have come from t61, so you can imagine that it was pretty much a blast up there. :-)
I've been thinking a lot about people lately. I find it fascinating how people's lives are a lot like lines in that they all seem to be going different directions. Adding to this analogy, the lines intersect at various points, and can even change each others directions with encouragement, mockery, sarcasm, help, etc.
The question I ask myself is this: how did my line affect the guy at Dutch Bros. earlier today? When I go to church, am I the line causing the other lines to skew?
When I'm around my friends, do I default to being a parallel line or do I stand up for myself and others?
Although these questions tend to trigger a "mental shut down" in me due to the cliche-ness, I still find myself wondering. If I could see "my line's" direction from 20,000 feet, would I be pleased at where it's headed? Would I regret where it's been?
At times I envy George Bailey.
Something I mentally acknowledged this weekend is how much my friends mean to me. I am so thankful that our lines are intersecting at this point in my life. I understand that we may not stay intersected for ever and ever, and yet I would not be the same person without them.


Here's a night, and it shines
And it calls us on and on
So be here by my side, and watch the stars
They're ours
Make a wish or just take charge
The moment comes get lost and go far
I think that we've got what it takes
To get this heart start beating again
So take it all the way.

Whoa, whoa
And our hearts are on The Everglow
So just let go and fall into it

We begin, breathe in
Here's our chance to go for something
So this is where we win, and take the game
No blame
There's a neon light inside that shines
And tearing down the walls in the way
I think that we've got what it takes, to get this heart start beating again
So take it all the way

Whoa, whoa
And our hearts are on The Everglow
Deep inside we both know it
Everything's hanging on this moment
Whoa, whoa
And our hearts are on The Everglow
So just let go and fall into it

It's cold inside, but deep in the night
The light is bright enough to send
The weakest ones to go for the ride in
Oh no you cannot fade away

Whoa, whoa
And our hearts are on The Everglow
Whoa, whoa
So just let go and fall into it
Whoa, whoa
And our hearts are on The Everglow
Deep inside we both know it
Everything's hanging on this moment

Whoa, whoa
And our hearts are on The Everglow
Every action makes a reaction
We'll figure it out and make it happen
Whoa, whoa
And our hearts are on The Everglow
So just let go and fall into it


To me, this song (The Everglow, Mae) illustrates how we can get hurt playing this intersecting line game, this game of pick up sticks. Rather than becoming a recluse, however, if we align ourselves with Christ, make it so that we are intersecting with him always, we are so much more free; we live in the everglow.

The question I'm now asking myself is who and what am I intersecting with?

Colin

No comments:

Post a Comment