Monday, December 15, 2008

Of cell phones, school, Christmas-fever, and pride


Pretty crazy title, I know lol. No not the breadsticks. Ok, the breadsticks are crazy, but I mean the post title...oh whatever.
Fitting title however, because yesterday was a pretty crazy day in the life of Colin Mansfield.


Let me start by saying I'm a rehabilitating procrastinator. I say rehabilitating because I choose not to own the statement "procrastinator" as part of who I am. I have a tendency to put stuff off, and I'm working at fixing that. But let me tell you, last week was not a good week for me in this aspect. I was simultaneously trying to learn how to manage this blog, get a podcast up and running, and do pre-calc/trig and chemistry all at the same time. Not a good combo, especially with Christmas-fever kicking in.
Mind you, the excess of school was due to "events" that were "outside of my control" (ie: hanging out with friends, and spending time staring into nothingness wishing math would disappear on its own accord.)


All that to say I had created my own worst enemy, and not like that lame show on NBC. My Monday was destined to be jammed full of last-minute school.


And what do I find out when I wake from my slumber? My phone won't turn on. Awesome. After I had "gotten some school done" (comprised mostly of staring at my math book wishing for a miracle once again) my mom and I headed off to the Sprint store to see if we could piece Humpty Dumpty together again.


No such luck. After an hour of sitting there talking to a "representative" (whatever that means--does he even work for Sprint?) we we're told we had to pay $35 for them to replace my phone which, by the way, was still under the manufacturers one-year warranty. Freaking cell phone commies.

After leaving the store with my mom, I went into a rage. I gave all the reasons why those idiots at the store were...well idiots. Bla bla bla.
Later that day (after more "school" was "finished") My whole family went down to a different Sprint location and talked with a nice guy there. I probably think of him as "nice" because he was helpful (in that he actually did his job. I ask again: did that other guy even work for Sprint?) He got us on the phone with some lady who, again, was demanding $35 of us. My dad, being the expert salesman he is, was able to get the woman-on-the-phone to waive the fee. We walked out of the store happy customers, and with a new phone on the way. If all goes well I should have LeTronika II by Thursday.

For the record, I was able to get my school work done. Yeah, it took a while. Yeah, I got a late night talking-to by my dad. But I got it done. Lesson learned: don't procrastinate, especially when it comes to high school homework. Now to finish up this home-stretch and make it to Christmas break. I can see the light at the end of the tunnel!

Anyways, all this got me to thinkin' about pride. Was my reaction to the first salesman (does he even work for Sprint?) one of grace, or was I playing the "my-way-right-now" proud customer? How else am I prideful in my life, whether or not I mean to be? Interesting questions, and worth exploring further. What do you think?

Well, I'm off now to get our new Qwest Broadband set up (Cableone was charging up the u-kno-wht). Have a great day!

Colin
P.S. Get ready. The podcast is coming.

1 comment:

  1. I don't suppose you could elaborate on you being "proud" during the sprint situation?
    Kevin

    ReplyDelete