Sunday, December 4, 2011

The last two(ish) months

Good day to you! I wanted to throw up a quick update about my life on here since It's been a while. Lots has gone on in the last two(ish) months, but rather then go through a couple stories, I'd rather just post some bullet points and pictures that might give you a snapshot of where I'm at.

Suffice it to say that I am ready to go home for Christmas. I'm ready to hug my family, roll around on the floor with my dog, drink my mom's eggnog, stay up late with friends, go to the movies with my dad, and play with my nephew. Christmas is beginning to seep into my being - that holly-infused goodness that brings to mind the smell of evergreens and the taste of goodies. And, most importantly, the warmth of being with my family.

What I've been enjoying lately:
  • Coffee from Old Bisbee roasters. They're out of Bisbee, Arizona, which is my roommate's hometown. Check them out here.
  • Playing way too much Skyrim, Batman: Arkham City, Halo Reach, and Zelda: Skyward Sword.
  • Inheritance, the last book in the "Eragon" series.
  • Smoking cigars with my best friends in my company here at school.
  • My new flannel that I picked up from Pac Sun on Black Friday.
  • Scoring better on my APFT (Army Physical Fitness Test) then I ever had before, after majorly struggling with it earlier this year.
What I've been struggling with lately:
  • Being sick with a bad cold for the last week. I had to take a day off of school to just do nothing. That's a pretty big deal at West Point, especially during a week when a million assignments are due.
  • Economics and Arabic. Both of these classes have gotten progressively harder throughout the year. I'm thankful that this semester is almost over and that I'm passing in both of these classes.
  • The struggle of desiring to stay in community with Christians here, but not being fed at the church services that are offered.
  • Missing home.
  • Missing the daily conversations with my friends from Boise. 
Music I've been listening to:
Pictures of this semester at school:

After successfully running in a 5k "zombie race" in October















Hanging out with one of my friends, Ted Kostich, at #OWS



















A fall day driving to the mall from West Point















A beautiful barracks latte I created from scratch



















A slightly emo picture of me. I don't remember the context, but I like it.



















Colin

3 comments:

  1. I have found this to be useful in my time of trials, and a need for reliance on my fellow Christian brothers for accountability. Proverbs 27:17, "As iron sharpens iron, so one man sharpens another." You men stay strong and stick together.
    Perseverance: James 5:11, "As you know, we consider blessed those who have persevered. You have heard of Job's perseverance and have seen what the Lord finally brought about. The Lord is full of compassion and mercy."

    One of my favorite movies is Ben Hur. It might just be the most epic film ever (Ben Hur), and definitely the most epic scene in film history....the brawny Charlton Heston, sheepishly stated to the director that he had concerns about his ability to fulfill his 5 month filming of the chariot race. As he accounted in his personal journal, the director told him, “stay in the race and MGM will make sure you win the race.” (All he had to do was hang on.) Jesus has already won our race...you just persevere and stay in the race. I am confident, you all will. I am proud of you young men. God has placed you young men together to sharpen each other. We are so thankful God has placed you, Daniel, Chris, and John together.
    God’s Blessings,
    Chris’s Dad

    ReplyDelete
  2. Colin,

    Thanks for a great update. You are an incredible young man. I would love to say high to you when you return. I would love for you to share some Arabic with me. You never know when it may come in handy.

    ReplyDelete
  3. You are loved and missed, Col.

    As Chris' dad stated, "stay in the race" and the Lord will make sure you win it...because He's already won it - and your identity is located deep within Him. You've weathered things at your age that others cannot imagine. You are alive in Christ. Your destination is clear, your timetable set. The next 15 minutes is what we both have. We can move in any direction we wish - or we can be "in Him" and watch what direction He takes us. 15 minutes (and just 11 days)... Love ya, Dad

    ReplyDelete